Saturday, July 31, 2010

Happy Birthday to the Blueberry Queen


A very happy birthday to my grandmother, Irene Delorme!


She was born in 1918 and is 92 today, July 31st.

I feel a little bad since I missed her big 90th birthday bash because I was in Wisconsin at a wedding. I was able to celebrate her 91st last year, which was a blast. This year, I will celebrate another birthday with her and my family in spirit!

My grandmother has been such a big part of my life, and I miss her dearly. When deciding to move to a foreign country, there are always certain things that tear at your heartstrings when you think about leaving. There were really not too many things for me, but my grandmother was one of them, along with my mom and my puppy dog, Sam.

My grandmother is an in incredibly strong woman who raised her eight children alone after my grandfather died when my mom was just a teenager. I have admired her great spirit and outgoing personality, my mother and I definitely get our friendliness and talkative nature from her! She still lives on her own and drives a car (scary, I know!) and is very independent. She is never afraid to meet new people (especially tourists in the summer), and has quite the social life in Yarmouth, Maine! From her church acquaintances to friends at the local YMCA, my grandmother never misses a beat, even at her old age.
So a big happy birthday to Grammie, from 8,000 miles away! We both love and miss her, and hope she has a wonderful 92nd birthday surrounded by friends and family!!!

Here she is with Amelia, my second cousin!

No comments:

Post a Comment